Sunday, August 10, 2014

Seattle - Portland

Summer Travels

Seattle - Fremont, Washington + Portland, Oregon
June - 19/24 - 2014


I never knew lands without mosquitos existed until I visited the Pacific Northwest (as naive as that sounds). Both Seattle & Portland hold a sweet spot in my heart, with their lack of creepy crawlies helping hold that space. Seeing Usher at the Piroshky Piroshky Bakery in Pikes Place definitely added to the magic of the trip as well!

As first-timers to Seattle, my mother & I did many must-sees in the city: the original Starbucks, Ride the Ducks, Chihuly, the Space Needle, Farmer's Market & the gum wall. Although all of these sites were super neat, my most favorite part of Washington was the day-trip to Fremont. We coincidentally were in town for the yearly Fremont Summer Solstice Parade - a parade in which people bicycle through the streets naked, with selective body parts painted! The energy on the streets of Fremont was palpable; people lined the sidewalks (multiple hours in advanced) with blankets, chairs & even SOFAS to get a good view of the spectacle.

After a handful of days in Seattle, we took the Amtrak train to Portland, where visits to Stumptown Coffee & Voodoo Doughnuts occurred. A few weeks before the trip, my friend Cara & I discovered Rogue's Hazelnut Brown Nectar - a new favorite beer of mine - so a trip to the Rogue brewery was a must as we ventured through Portland!










"Can I have your phone number since you took my picture?"

"Do you want me to take my shorts off for the picture?"

 



No comments:

Post a Comment